Saturday 17 August 2013

Sentence Correction -----Clarifications And Tips----Use of Pronoun - 'It'

USE OF PRONOUN ‘IT’ :


The Pronoun ‘It’ is used:

1. For things without life; as:  

There is a book on the table. Give it to me. 

2. For animals; as : 

He has a pet cow. He loves it very much.

3. For a young child; as:

 I saw the child in the market. It was weeping bitterly.

4. To refer to a statement going before; as:

He told a lie and he knows it. He will not win the match and he knows it.

5. As a subject before the verb to be; as:

It is sure that he will win the match.( He will win the match is sure).
It  is easy to find fault with others.

6. To emphasize the noun or pronoun that follows; as:

It was he who brought this to my notice.
It is he who is at fault. It was he who helped me. It is a fool who does not learn from past follies.

7. As an impersonal pronoun; as :

It is raining. It snows.  It thunders.

8. In Indefinite sense; as: 

It is very hot. It is clear today. It is close today.


Use of My, Mine, Your, Yours, Her, Hers, their, Theirs;

..are called possessive pronouns. 

 Mine, yours, hers, theirs are not followed by any noun whereas My, your, his, her there are followed by a noun ;  as :

This is my book and that is yours. (your book)
This is his box.  Where is hers?
It is my fault and not theirs. He lost his purse and stole mine.(my purse)


Numerical adjectives are often used as a pronoun; as:

The underlined words  are pronouns.

Either of the teams can win the match.
Neither of the two brothers is at fault.
Some of the boys are brilliant, others are dull.
Both of the girls are beautiful.
John has done much but more is expected from him.
Be fair in your dealings that is all I need from you.
They came by threes and fours.
There are two dogs in the  house one is white, the other black.
Each has natural talents, only if each will develop it.
There are nine plants in the garden, two are small,three are of medium size and four are tall. 


USE OF THAN, BUT & WHAT :


There is often a great confusion about use of ‘than’ & ‘but’
But if we use the complete clause in the sentence it  can be avoided; as:

‘THAN’

Her sister is more beautiful than she (is).
I love her more than he (loves her).
She loves you more than (she loves) me.

‘BUT’

But  is used as a preposition in  a sentences.
Nobody  will help you but me.(not I)
None but him was present. (not he)

WHAT

What is used for things only.
What is lying there? …… a thing.
What  does he want?
What did you get?
What is this table made of?


But what also refers to profession when used with a noun or pronoun.
What is your father? He is a doctor.  What is your mother? She is a teacher.


USE OF ‘HE’ ‘YOU’ & ‘I’


For good acts the order of use is :

Second person, third person and first person.
You, he and I ,         You and I,   He and I,

For bad acts it is:

First person, third person and second person
I, he and you,    I and you, I and he.
You, he and I are good friends.
I, he and you are at fault.









No comments:

Post a Comment