Monday 12 August 2013

Sentence Correction Exercises---No. 15, & 16 ---with answers & explanations..


Exercise No. 15.


Find out error in the following sentences if any and mark Sr. no. of the relative part. In case of no error mark Sr no.5.
Ignore punctuation errors.

A. 1.What harm 2.can smoking do to 3.the health of a person, 4.one cannot imagine even.

B.1. A set of 2.two double storeyed shops3. in this market are available4. on rent.

C. 1.The teacher advised 2. his pupils that 3. they should prefer health 4.than wealth and character than health.

D.1. My all advice 2. to my son 3.to shun bad company 4.had no affect on him.

E. 1.My wife asked 2.me that whether 3.I  was going to my office 4.on that day.





Exercise No. 16.

Find out error in the following sentences if any and mark Sr. no. of the relative part. In case of no error mark Sr no.5.
Ignore punctuation errors.


A. 1.Prompt his reply came2. that he was obliged 3.to receive our invitation to him 4. to attend the party.

B. 1. My brother 2.  Came back 3. Yesterday 4. But I have come this morning.

C. 1. On reaching there, 2. I found that 3.the quality of those oranges 4.were not good to consume.

D. 1.Each one 2.of the shops3. in this market 4.are already occupied.

E. 1.I who is 2.your fast friend 3.will never deceive 4. you in your life.


Answers 
with their explanations

Exercise No 15.
 

A. (2) What harm  smoking can do to the health of a person, one cannot imagine even.

(It is a simple assertive sentence. So modal can should be used after subject. In an interrogative sentence it is used after subject.)


B. (3) A set of two double storeyed shops in this market is available on rent.

( In this sentence,Subject 'a set' is singular. So singular verb 'is' will be used.)



C. (4) The teacher advised his pupils that  they should prefer health to wealth and character to health.

( Prefer is followed by 'to' and not 'than'.)

D. (4) My all advice to my son to shun bad company had no effect on him.

( Noun effect is correct word to be used here)



E. (2) My wife asked me  whether I  was going to my office on that day.

(This is an interrogative sentence in indirect form so in such sentences 'if' or 'whether' is used.




 Exercise No 16.

A. (1)Prompt came his reply that he was obliged to receive our invitation to him  to attend the party.

( To put emphasis on the matter adverb and  verb both together are used in the beginning of the sentence.)

B. (4) My brother Came back Yesterday But I came this morning.

( In such sentences past indefinite tense is used. )


C. (4) On reaching there,  I found that the quality of those oranges was not good to consume.

( Subject 'quality' is singular so verb too singular 'was' is to be used.)

D. (4) Each one of the shops in this market is already occupied.

( With subject each one singular verb is to be used.)

E. (1) I who am your fast friend will never deceive you in your life.

( In this sentence verb is to used according to subject 'I'.)












No comments:

Post a Comment